DIY Ideas — How to fix items to your modular fence panel
With the vast amount of customisation options available with our modular fencing, the possibilities are truly endless. From wall art and decorative screens, to wall planters and vertical gardens, this guide details the recommended process of safely fixing items to your modular fence panel.
What you’ll need:
- Ramet Wallmate – Stud Solver (available from Bunnings); each Wallmate will hold up to 10kg.
- Polyurethane sealant/adhesive, such as FLEXIT or Sikaflex
Fixing items to your modular fence panel
1. Mark out and drill pilot holesMark out your fixing locations on the wall panel, then drill a small 3mm pilot hole into the fibre cement skin before installing the WallMate.
2. Screw in WallmatesScrew the Wallmate into position slowly, making sure you drive the Wallmate in so it sits flush with the outer face of the fibre cement skin; if you drive it in too far, you will ‘strip it’.
Continue until all Wallmates are installed.
3. Apply polyurethane sealant/adhesive
It's also recommended (if suitable) to apply a polyurethane sealant/adhesive to the item being secured to the wall panel, such as FLEXIT or Sikaflex.
4. Attach your item!Attach the item that is to be fixed to the panel (wall art, decorative screen, planter, etc) with caution, screwing into the Wallmates and ensuring you do not over-tighten the screws.
Want to download or print this tutorial? Download our full Fixing to a Panel Guide here!
Should I fix it to the panel or the fence post?
Depending on the weight of the item, we recommend fixing certain items to the posts, rather than the modular fence panels themselves.
Items you can fix to your fence panel:
Items you should fix to your fence post:
- Garden hose reel
- Hooks for various garden accessories
How much weight can I attach to my modular fence?
As long as the weight is appropriately spread, you can attach items of up to ~20kg.
Items over 20kg must be assessed on a case-by-case basis, with good building practices and attachment methods applied. As there are so many variations, we advise that you contact ModularWalls directly for advice on your specific request. This way, we can ensure your fence is designed to take the additional weight.
For instance, in the past, we’ve had customers request to attach shade sail anchors to a post. In another instance, we’ve also had someone ask to attach a large cantilevered shade umbrella.
Fortunately, both situations were discussed before ordering and construction, so we could design a custom, revised solution that safely took into consideration the loading of the umbrella and shade sail.
Written by Evelyn Kandris