Christmas traditions have a special place in many people’s hearts; but when the season is far from white and snowy, there are some culinary customs that simply don’t fit the climate. Celebrate this festive season BBQ-side with these Aussie Christmas lunch ideas!
Christmas BBQ recipes
Fire up the barbie, folks — these recipes put an Aussie twist on traditional Christmas dishes!
Meat and fish:
- Glazed Christmas ham with sweet & tangy BBQ sauce
- BBQ turkey breast with cranberry sauce
- Butterflied lamb with tahini sauce
- Turkey burgers with grilled pineapple relish
- Sticky ribs with mango & coconut salsa
- Summer BBQ prawn platter
- Whole Thai red curry snapper
- BBQ salmon with saffron rice
For the herbivores:
Sides and salads:
- Grilled herb potatoes
- Char-grilled veggie salad with whipped basil feta
- Char-grilled zucchini and cranberry salad
- Mexican charred veggie salad
- BBQ haloumi and veggie kebabs
Bring some fun to your lunch plans with these festive cocktail ideas! You can also transform any of these recipes into family-friendly mocktails by simply leaving out the hard stuff. This way, they’re tasty refreshments for all!
- Cherry rosé sangria
- Basil, strawberry and watermelon cooler
- Pomegranate Pimms
- Watermelon mai tai
- Chilled mulled wine
- Aperol sorbet fizz
DIY Christmas decorations inspired by Aussie bushcraft
From native wreaths, to herb garlands and edible centrepieces, these Aussie decoration ideas are super easy to DIY for maximum effort and character! They can also double as fun craft station activities to entertain the kids whilst the adults enjoy their sangria!
Summer-proofing your alfresco entertaining plans
Aussie summers can be highly unpredictable; from absolute scorchers to sudden tropical storms, you need to prepare your BBQ for all kinds of weather. If you need to summer-proof your area this Christmas, you can check out how to make the most of a sizzling hot summer’s day here!