Thoughtful DIY gift baskets for Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day has always been an opportunity to celebrate all the Mums, all they do and all the love they give. However, with social distancing limiting our options this year, we need to re-imagine how we show our love and gratitude; put a smile on Mum’s face (and a tear in her eye) with these super thoughtful DIY gift basket ideas!
Psst; if it’s not possible to put it together and drop off yourself, we’ve also included some companies who do all the work for you!
DIY picnic hamper
If there’s lovely backyard with a patch of green grass available, this is the perfect way to prompt her to get some fresh air. Some items you could include involve:
- Picnic basket with cutlery holders
- Picnic rug
- Cheese board and knife set
- An array of her favourite snacks
- Bottle of wine
- Sunglasses or a fun, wide-brimmed hat
- Vintage-inspired sun umbrellas from Sunday Supply Co
- Rattan beach chairs (if Mum prefers a little back support!) from Byron Bay Hanging Chairs
‘Memory Lane’ gift basket
In this highly digital age, we sometimes forget how special it is to have printed photos. If they’re the sentimental type, give old photos new life and create a treasure trove of memories!
Have a photo book made express, go vintage with a beautiful photo album or even get crafty with a scrapbook. Many photo labs also convert hard copy photos into digital files, which is perfect for a digital photo frame. You could even top off the basket with small, nostalgic items; a fun snack you both enjoyed, a book you loved to read together or a movie you watched to death!
‘Movie Night Done Right’ DIY gift basket
Speaking of movies, why not create something to make the nightly Netflix spree a bit more special?
Gift all the fixin’s of an epic movie night, including:
- Spiced or flavoured popcorn
- Cheese board
- Red wine (or other poison of choice!)
- Boozy hot chocolate or coffee cocktails
- New fluffy slippers or comfy bed socks
- DVD of an old favourite, if they have a DVD player!
- Hand-made invitation to a Zoom virtual move night!
‘Keep Calm & Drink Tea’ DIY hamper
Thank her for all the days of devouring pretend ‘food’ and sipping on pretend ‘tea’ by gifting her a proper tea party! Some hamper-stuffers could involve:
- Tea pot and tea cup set
- Novelty tea diffuser
- Specialty loose-leaf tea
- Artisan goldfish teabags
- Blooming herbal teas
- Bubble teas
- Home-made scones, muffins or biscuits
‘Caffeine Addict’ basket
We all have a bit more time on our hands to enjoy the small moments of joy and create rituals around what brings us happiness. Gift mum a premium cuppa this year with a coffee lover’s dream basket, including:
- Premium coffee beans or grounds
- Homemade biscotti
- Artisan handmade mugs from Australian ceramists
- Chocolate covered coffee beans
- Espresso martini jars
- Turkish coffee sets (for a beautiful, new ritual!)
‘Relax, Renew, Refresh’ spa day hamper
Self care is what it’s all about. Gift mum a little R&R time with a hamper that features:
- Bath bombs or Epsom salts
- Scented candle or incense
- Face masks
- DIY body scrub
- Luxe skincare
- Facial oils
- Nail polish and nail care kit
- Fluffy robe and slippers
- Voucher for one free massage from Dad
- Bottle of bubbly!
‘Wine Not’ DIY wine tasting crate
If mum’s a bit of an oenophile, take her on an exquisite wine tasting journey! With a bit of research, you can create a beautiful hamper that includes:
- A selection of wines (typically sparkling, white, rose, red and dessert, or you can tailor to her tastes!)
- Tasting notes for each bottle
- Wine-pairing recipe for each bottle
- Wine bottle aerator
- Wine bottle stoppers, for air-tight storage
- New set of wine glasses
- Wine decanter or carafe
DIY ‘Stay-cation’ kit
If you can’t go on a vacation, bring the vacation to you! Sometimes, we just need to get away…even if it’s only a few metres away. Set up the perfect stay-cation with the following kit:
- Boho fringe hammock
- Cocktail making kit, with ingredients and shaker set
- Fun new kimono
- Selection of gourmet smoothies or juices
- Exotic snacks
- Voucher for a personal butler for the day (thanks again, Dad!)
- An amazing book (or a guilty pleasure read!)
- For extra points, theme it with a specific location in mind!
‘Green Thumbs Up’ garden basket
If mum has a bit of a green thumb, there’s nothing nicer than receiving some new plant babies for the garden! Some ideas include:
- Personalised gardening tools
- Countertop herb garden, with ceramic pots to paint and label
- Winter veggies
- Propagation station
- Seedling kits
- Terrarium kit
‘Cork-n-Canvas’ paint and sip gift basket
If she’s the creative type — or just after a laugh — create the perfect crafternoon experience! Some ideas might include:
- Acrylic paints, paint brushes and masonry jar (for water)
- Personalised painter’s palette
- Canvas (or card, for easy recycling)
- A bottle of something fun, or a cocktail-making kit
- Handmade invitation to a Zoom/Facetime painting party, with a link to a YouTube paint and sip tutorial or Bob Ross episode!
Long-distance gift basket ideas
If you’re unable to create or drop off a DIY gift basket, there are also plenty of companies who can help you out! As a bonus, you can feel good about supporting someone’s business, to boot.
Some beautiful delivery gift ideas include:
- Little Suckers succulent gift box
- Luxe cheeseboard delivery by XO Boards
- Personalised wine subscription to Good Pair Days
- Donut bouquet by Dessert Boxes
- Pamper Hamper from LVLY
If you’re lucky enough to be able to be with your mum this year, you can also check out our list of meaningful DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas!
Written by Evelyn Kandris